2012年11月21日星期三

It was busy

"It was busy. Customers kept coming in until we closed, and I had a load of paperwork I had to get through. In fact, I just got home a little while ago." He started toward the front door, Theresa right beside him. "How about you? What did you end up doing the rest of the day?"
"I got to take a nap," she said as if teasing him, and he laughed.
"I forgot to ask you earlier, but do you want anything special for dinner?" he asked.
"What were you planning on?"
"I was thinking of cooking some steaks on the grill, but then I got to wondering if you ate things like that."
"Are you kidding? You forget I grew up in Nebraska. I love a good steak."
"Then you're in for a pleasant surprise."
"What?"
"I happen to make the best steaks in the world."
"Oh, you do, huh?"
"I'll prove it to you," he said, and she laughed, a melodic sound.
As they approached the door, Theresa looked at the house for the first time. It was relatively small-one story and rectangular shaped-with painted wooden siding that was peeling badly in more than one place. Unlike the homes on Wrightsville Beach, this home sat directly on the sand. When she asked him why it wasn't raised like the other houses, he explained that the house was built before the hurricane building codes went into effect. "Now the houses have to be elevated so that the tidal surge can pass under the main structure. The next big hurricane will probably wash this old house out to sea, but I've been fortunate so far."
"Don't you worry about that?"
"Not really. There's not much to the place, and that's the only reason I could afford it. I think the former owner finally got tired of all the stress every time a big storm started moving across the Atlantic."
They reached the cracked front steps and walked inside. The first thing Theresa noticed upon entering was the view from the main room. The windows extended from the floor to the ceiling and ran along the entire back side of the house, overlooking the back deck and Carolina Beach.
"This view is incredible," she said, surprised.
"It is,Designer Handbags, isn't it? I've been here for a few years now,UGG Clerance, but I still don't take it for granted."
Off to one side was a fireplace, surrounded by a dozen underwater photographs. She moved toward them. "Do you mind if I look around?"
"No, go ahead. I have to get the grill out back ready anyway. It needs a bit of cleaning."
Garrett left through the sliding glass door.
After he left,shox torch 2, Theresa looked at the pictures for a while, then toured the rest of the house. Like many beach houses she had seen, there wasn't room for more than one or two people to live here. There was only one bedroom, reached by a door off the living room. Like the main room,homepage, it also had floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the beach. The front portion of the house-the side closest to the street-contained a kitchen, a small dining area (not quite a room), and the bathroom. Though everything was tidy, the house looked as though it hadn't been updated in years.
Returning to the main room, she stopped at his bedroom and glanced inside. Again she saw underwater photographs decorating the walls. In addition, there was a large map of the North Carolina coast that hung directly over his bed, documenting the location of almost five hundred shipwrecks. When she looked toward his nightstand, she saw a framed picture of a woman. Making sure that Garrett was still outside cleaning the grill, she stepped in to take a closer look.

没有评论:

发表评论